Dr. Andy

Reflections on medicine and biology among other things

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Shangri-la update



Well I promised to follow the Shangri-la diet and update readers on my progress. I had some issues with illness and injury and didn't really follow the diet for a while. I finally got healthy and over a nasty cold last weekend and started both exercising and following the diet regularly. I'm trying to take 1 tablespoon of extra light olive oil (ELOO in Sharngri-la terminology) 2x a day.

To control for exercise and trying to lose weight, I'm going to compare my progress losing weight to the same time last year when I was also exercising regularly, hopefully at similar volume. Not exactly a placebo control, but at least I'm comparing apples to apples.

The line part graph shows weight at the end of the week in both years and the columns my weekly mileage (which is a combination of running, ergometer running with a few miles added for each strength session). I'll try to update weekly

4 Comments:

At 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm doing that "diet" too. I haven't added any excercise, or consciously tried to reduce my caloric intake. Result: lost 3 pounds in one week, which is really weird cus I am about to get my period and I normally gain weight at this stage in my cycle.

Wierd side effect: reduced anxiety. Anxiety is a constant in my life, and it increases during the week before my period, but I feel pretty calm. What's up with that?

Could my anxiety be for staving-off-famine? Could anxity sometimes exist to give a person nervous energy to forage for food? I read that anxiety is fear of a disaster occuring. Maybe my disaster is famine? Anyway, it seems odd that I feel calmer while taking the ELOO.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Kate said...

I'm particularly intrigued by this "diet" as it relates to people who are serious about exercise or competitive sports. I did my first marathon last year and loved it, but didn't lose the kind of weight that I'd expected to. I'd like to try a diet as well, but I'm worried about losing stamina and energy as a result. Dr. Andy (or any other serious runners out there): have you noticed any adverse side effects in regards to your training or fitness routine?

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Stephen said...

I lost seventy pounds on the SLD, and it has kept me from wanting to eat it all back on.

Really an interesting experience.

I've been wondering how your long term resuts were (I started in 2005).

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

So how is it going now? (Asked October 13, 2007)

I just heard about the Shangri-la diet and am curious to see how others have found it, though the cost of the experiment is so low that I will try it starting today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home