Dr. Andy

Reflections on medicine and biology among other things

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Living longer


Death rates in the United Stares are plummeting, according to the National Center for Health Statistics; and the discrepancy between the races is closing. Looking at the figure, I'd estimate an 8-10% reduction in age-adjusted death rates since 2000. I blame George Bush.

Seriously, I'm glad I didn't write an article like this one, suggesting that mortality rates were likely to increase due to the increase in obesity.

UPDATE: missed link fixed, thanks to Flea

3 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Blogger Harriet said...

I wonder how much of this is due to our outsourcing the most dangerous jobs? That is, we have, say, fewer industrial accidents, etc.

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Big Lebowski Store said...

Andy, which article made the suggestion about obesity? Did you drop a link?

Flea

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Dr. Andy said...

Flea, thanks I did miss the link, it is fixed now.

Ollie, accidents are down only slightly from 2003 to 2004, so they don't seem to be a big factor.

Looking at the causes of death and drops between 2003 and 2004, I'd sum up the cause in one word: "statins"

Andy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home