Flesh eating virus?
So the "most e-mailed" story on the New York Times website is "Why doctors so often get it wrong" by one David Leonhardt; it tells the story of one decision support software company started by the father of a child who almost died because of a missed diagnosis:
Dr. Britto was working at a London hospital in 1999 when doctors diagnosed chicken pox in a little girl named Isabel Maude. Only when her organs began shutting down did her doctors realize that she had a potentially fatal flesh-eating virus. Isabel's father, Jason, was so shaken by the experience that he quit his finance job and founded a company — named after his daughter, who is a healthy 10-year-old today — to fight misdiagnosis.Flesh eating virus? I've never heard of that. Probably because it doesn't exist. Here is Isabel's story from the Isabel Healthcare website:
Isabel was finally diagnosed with Toxic Shock Syndrome and Necrotising Fasciitis (aptly described as the ‘flesh-eating bug’).Of course, any second year medical student could tell you that toxic shock and necrotizing fasciiits are caused by bacterial infections usually staph and strep, not viruses. You'd think an article about imprecision in medicine would take pains to get it right.
Maybe another article can look at why the New York Times so often gets it wrong.
UDPATE: I emailed the author about this who responded very quickly that virus was wrong, that the web item would be changed soon and a correction appear. Advantage Leonhardt!