Dr. Andy

Reflections on medicine and biology among other things

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Leukemia


This chart shows the incredbile progress that has been made against childhood leukemia, specifically acute lymphoblastic leukemia. So if your child is diagnosed with ALL today, she probably has a greater than 90% chance of cure. 40 years ago the chance was more like 10%.

Chart is from last week's NEJM. ALL is the success story in cancer. Progress in other cancers has obviously been less impressive. Still, the success rate in childhood ALL is so great that much current research focuses on identifying "low risk" patients who will be cured with less-intensive regimens that have fewer adverse effects.

7 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the cure rate for ALL is wonderful. However children get other kinds of cancer. I wanted to strangle well meaning stranger who cheered us on when my daughter was diagnosed with a particular nasty form of leukemia (Juvenile Myelomonocytic Leukemia) with comments like "oh they can cure that now". Such hopeful faces, how could I tell them that her chances were actually quite dismal and the doctors had all but told us to go home and plan her funeral.

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is a miracle that ALL has come so far so fast. My child has AML; relapsed, stem cell transplant, relapse. Now we are in hospice care. For those cancers that are on the margins, it is still a long row to hoe.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger girl MD said...

Having just done my first month on heme/onc as an intern, I would add that while, yes, the cure rate for ALL has improved drastically, the treatments are not benign. Round after round of chemo, lumbar punctures for intrathecal chemo, nasty drug side effects, hair loss, time out of school, the stigma of being sick and, most importantly, the complete loss of innocence...these "morbidities" are not reflected in the sunny statistics of the 5 and 10 yr survival curves.
I would also agree with your other commenters that there are many other types of childhood cancers that don't have such cheery survival rates. Alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma springs to mind...

 
At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We too have been met with the cheery faces of well-meaning people who say "that's easily curable now." Easily? My two-year-old son is now is delayed intensification. He can't talk or eat due to the sores throughout his mouth and asophogus. This is only one of the many side effects. We feel confident he will be cured, but it is far from "easy."

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger obat herbal said...

cara mengobati penyakit wasir secara jika mendengar kata wasir mungkin anda cara mengobati bab berdarah atau wasir obat herbal wasir wasir ambeien herbal obat wasir obat ambeien atau wasir herbal

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger obat herbal said...

cara mengobati penyakit wasir secara jika mendengar kata wasir mungkin anda cara mengobati bab berdarah atau wasir obat herbal wasir wasir ambeien herbal obat wasir obat ambeien atau wasir herbal

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Lionel messi10 said...

Mengobati Kutil Di KemaluanDalam metode pengobatan ini, yang akan digunakan adalah nitrogen cair untuk membekukan kutil. Tapi cara pengobatan ini belum bebas dari rasa sakit. untuk cara pemesanana silahkan kunjungblog ini

obat wasir herbal untuk ibu menyusuiTapi perlu juga diketahui bahwa meningkatnya tekanan pada pembuluh darah dubur karena kebiasaan buruk seperti membaca koran di toilet atau peningkatan ketegangan selama pembuangan, pola makan yang buruk dan kurangnya olahraga dapat menyebabkan wasir.untuk cara pemesanana silahkan kunjungsitus kami

obat keluar nanah dari kelamin priaBeralih dari perbedaan diantara kedua penyakit ini, sekarang kita akan membahas kemiripan diantara keduanya yang sering membuat orang salah mengerti. Pertama, jika tidak ditangani dengan cepat kedua penyakit ini akan menyebar ke bagian tubuh yang lain. untuk cara pemesanana silahkan kunjungsitus kami

obat ampuh ambeien stadium 3Saat wasir internal terjadi ada kemungkinan anda akan mengalami pendarahan mulai dari jumlah kecil hingga besar. Wasir external terjadi di anus sehingga dapat menyebabkan sakit.untuk cara pemesanana silahkan kunjungblog kami

obat keluar nanah dari kelamin priaDengan cara yang seperti ini, kita dapat mencegah penyakit kencing nanah untuk menyebar ke bagian tubuh yang lain dan juga bertambah parah. Namun, ada satu cara lagi yang tidak kalah penting dengan memeriksakan diri ke dokter yaitu dengan melakukan pencegahan gonore. untuk cara pemesanana silahkan kunjungsitus kami

Obat Kutil Di Kelamin PriaYa, untuk mengobati penyakit kutil kelamin ini memang seperti menarik parasit seperti gulma dari organ kelamin kita. untuk cara pemesanana silahkan kunjungweb kami

Obat Kutil Di Sekitar KemaluanSalah satu pengobatan herbal yang diyakini paling efektif untuk menyembuhkan penyakit ini adalah ekstrak herbal dan minyak esensial. untuk cara pemesanana silahkan kunjungsitus ini

Artikel Lain


http://www.obatherbalkanker.tk/2016/02/obat-tradisional-kutil-di-kelamin.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home