Dr. Andy

Reflections on medicine and biology among other things

Sunday, October 16, 2005

What to feed your kid

Turns out most of what you hear from your pediatrician is probably wrong, or at least without any real basis:
bring on the spices. Science is catching up with the folklore that babies in the womb and those who are breast-fed taste -- and develop a taste for -- whatever Mom eats. So experts say if Mom enjoys loads of oregano, baby might, too.
My kids for the most part are adventerous eaters and enjoy spicy food. I remember once eating with my son and my parents and asking him if he'd like calamari. He asked what it was and when I replied "basically fried squid" he responded "sounds good" much to his grandparents amazement.

Wearing my allergist hat, I do have to caution against early introduction of foods like peanuts and shellfish in kids at high risk of food allergies, although the data for this intervention is weak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home