Dr. Andy

Reflections on medicine and biology among other things

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Inside the Nigerian email schemes

here.
Stephen Kovacsics of American Citizen Services, an office of the U.S. Consulate, spoke to a victim who had lost $200,000.

Kovacsics says he is awakened several nights a week by Americans pleading for help with an emergency, such as a fiancee (whom they have only met in an online chat room) locked up in a Nigerian jail. He has to tell them that there is probably no fiancee, no emergency.
Not much new, but interesting. I don't feel very sorry for them either.

UPDATE: This is probably the kind of thing my friend Ollie thinks the government needs to protect us from

1 Comments:

At 8:47 PM, Blogger Harriet said...

I heard that! :-)

Actually, as far as these "dear esteemed sir, I need to transfer $200,000,000 of money from a Nigerian bank to the US" type schemes, it goes back to what my mom told me a long time ago: "it is impossible to cheat an honest man". ;-)

Believe it or not, I agree with "personal responsibility". However, I think that "responsibility" applies to public officials too, which is why I dislike the current administration so much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home