Dr. Andy

Reflections on medicine and biology among other things

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Yet more bird flu

I'm watching the ABC special on avian flu.

The program is very tendentious, but I am actually encouraged by what I'm seeing. The government is starting to stock up on olsetamivir, the one medicne that would help and it seems like people, even in the government are starting to realize what a threat this could be.

I've said before, that I don't think things will be as bad as some fear. We have much more sophisticated medical and public health systems than we did 85 years ago during the last pandemic.

Remember, the pandemic won't start until H5N1 is able to efficiently spread between humans (as opposed to currently when it can only spread from birds to humans, and inefficiently at that) and no one knows when (and perhaps if) that will occur. The fact that people are starting to act is a good sign.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home