Dr. Andy

Reflections on medicine and biology among other things

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

This guy

reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George refuses to be fired:
First, his employees stopped reporting to him. Then his supervisors stopped returning his calls and now he does not know whom to report to. His secretary left, he said, and he was moved to an office near Pfizer's security department. . . . Dr. Rost turned on his computer Monday and tried for the first time in almost two weeks to log into his Pfizer e-mail account.

Access denied.

Because his corporate cellphone also was suddenly not working, Dr. Rost was reduced to using his Hotmail account to send e-mail messages to reporters to report his electronic exile.

Having to use you own hotmail account to pass negative information about your employer on to reporters? I guess the corporations really are running the country!

I can't say I have too much sympathy for someone who works for a pharmaceutical company and then makes a big deal about how they are charging too much for medicines and advocates reimportation. I don't see why this guy feels entitled to continue drawing a paycheck from Pfizer. If he has so many problems with the way Pfizer and other pharma companies act why not just quit? It would probably take him about 2 minutes to get an academic job with tenure.

3 Comments:

At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rost is a hero.

nuff said.

 
At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought this was the best paragraph of the article:

Dr. Rost said that he did not enjoy being unable to work productively, but that he could not quit without another job to replace his current annual compensation of more than $600,000."I have a family to support. There haven't been that many job offers coming through lately."

"I'm about to reach my four-year anniversary," Dr. Rost said. "In another year, I'll be fully vested in the pension plan."

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Harriet said...

This leads me to a point: I know that research for medical technology costs money. However, THIS would be a good place to have a government/industy partnership, IMHO.

We need to do something about the cost of drugs to the patients.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home