Dr. Andy

Reflections on medicine and biology among other things

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Shoeless running

I'm sorry but this "article" is mostly a press release from Nike:
Surprisingly, even Nike now sees the sense of running "shoeless." Just one year after releasing its most structured shoe ever - the Air Max 2004, with airbags and a motion-control footbridge - the company has switched tack by offering the Nike Free 5.0, a shoe it claims will "re-evolutionize" running by enabling people to run as if they were barefoot. With its gauzy heel, stockinglike upper, and thin sole, the Free 5.0 looks more like a slipper than a sneaker.
I'm shocked to find that scientists employed by Nike feel running in less supportive shoes may be helpful at THE VERY SAME TIME Nike is bringing just such a shoe to market. Who would of thought?

And Nike consultants and Nike sponsored athletes thing the shoe is great! The wonders never cease.

Seriously this idea seems plausible. I know that the Inov8 shoes, which are relatively minimalist for trail shoes are very popular among ultrarunners. I myself have found all the talk of straight and curved lasts, motion control vs. stability etc. is not much use to me. I can run in a wide variety of shoes without problems. I am a bit skeptical of the Nike Free for trails just because I think you need some protection from rocks

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home