Dr. Andy

Reflections on medicine and biology among other things

Saturday, May 28, 2005

What a run

My long run today started off okay, but about halfway into the 4 hours, I found myself running downhill on a rocky, muddy trail that was increasingly covered with puddles from the ongoing downpour. Since it hadn't been raining when I started my run I didn't have a hat. My glasses were covered with rain making it pretty hard to see. Finally, I didn't quite know where I was. For my long runs, I like to go to Frick Park, a few miles from home, and just explore the many trails.

As I continued down the trail I realized that right now, running down this muddy/rocky puddle covered trail in a downpour, lost, barely able to see the trail, I was having one of the peak experiences of my life.

I doubted briefly when I realized I could be running uphill. But then it struck me that once I got to the bottom I'd turn around and head back up, prolonging the experience.

I enjoyed myself and this experience for some time, before I was (figuratively) struck by lightning. It was light out! A truly peak experience would be going down this rocky/muddy trail, lost in a downpour in the dark!

Nonetheless, I enjoyed tremendously the rest of my run, although I couldn't help feeling a bit sorry for everyone else who was still sleeping or else sitting inside, drinking hot coffee and relaxing. Poor saps!

Everyone enjoy their weekend.

2 Comments:

At 3:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I just posted on the long run. Nice going!

 
At 4:54 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

Thought you might be interested in this, about someone with Crohn's Disease who took up extreme running:
http://tinyurl.com/85uyc

I'm enjoying reading your blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home