Dr. Andy

Reflections on medicine and biology among other things

Monday, May 23, 2005

What have I gotten myself into?

I am a pediatric allergist. While I am board certified in pediatric and adult allergy, I don't have much experience with adults, except for allergies, asthma, and immune deficiencies..

Nonetheless, at the end of June, I will be the doctor at a major aid station at the Western States 100 mile endurance run.

I had hoped to run the race, but wasn't selected in the lottery. A colleague, who is a pediatric pulmonologist at my hospital usually works at the Foresthill aid staion, 62 miles into the run and at the end of the hellish (and I don't use the word lightly) canyons, but he is running this year.

Since I was to be in northern California on holiday the week before, I volunteered. It sounds like all I'll have to do is give some people IV hydration and send them on to the ED if they look horrible, but I'm still a bit nervous. Hopefully, I'll have some experienced nurses to help me out (that is key at every level of medicine) and no one will be too ill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home