Dr. Andy

Reflections on medicine and biology among other things

Sunday, May 22, 2005

What class am I?

This NYTimes graphic allows you to see where you fit in America today.

As a physician, I am in the most prestigious profession. #1 out of more than 400. Go doctors!

One problem with the graphic is that many people, like me fall in multiple categories. I am also a "post-secondary" teacher (medical school faculty) and I have a doctoral (Ph.D.) as well as a professional degree (M.D.)

But what really caught my eye is that to achieve the same percentile in wealth as I do in occupaton and education, I'd need 50 million dollars! If there are any billionares out there who'd like to trade $50 million for my Ph.D., I'm not really using it much.

Also, the math seems odd. The graphic notes that only 19% of people don't finish high schoo, but then sets high school graduate at the 50th percentile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home