Dr. Andy

Reflections on medicine and biology among other things

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Living Longer

Americans are living longer:

Declines in death rates from most major causes, including heart disease and
cancer, have pushed Americans' life expectancy to a record 77.6 years


Increasingly, I think medicines challenge will be to increase the quality of life, not just the quantity. For example, the chronic disease I deal with most, asthma, probably has a minimal effect on overall mortality, but it clearly has a big effect on quality of life.

1 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember a quip in Cortland Forum (where all my medical knowledge originates, ha!) about the implications of "The patient looks older than stated age"... blah blah... and those of "patient looks younger than stated age"... do you know what was the underlying factor in the later? Exercise. Right.

I'm up to 4.5mph for 40 minutes without coma. every other day. I think I'll be capable of 100 mile runs (extrapolating on my progress) by about age 178 ;)

Cheers,
Fil

 

Post a Comment

<< Home