Dr. Andy

Reflections on medicine and biology among other things

Monday, March 14, 2005

Expandable ribs

are a godsend for patients with severe scoliosis, but like much medical technology they will likely raise overall medical costs by letting these kids live longer and longer.

During residency, I'd sometimes take care of kids, usually with cerebal palsy, multiple dystrophy, and/or other big problems who developed increasingly severe, impossible to treat (then at least) scoliosis and basically slowly smothered because they couldn't breathe. Many of the kids were cognitively normal which made it particularly sad.

2 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Blogger Dreaming again said...

Is there anyway to find out if this would work for a 49 year old man who's back was fused at age 6 because of polio? His scoliosis is worsening. Our doctor said today we have a serious problem, it's progressing, quickly we've exhausted all the knowlege in Oklahoma http://pearlsanddreams.blogspot.com/2005/02/test-adding-photo.html This is a picture of him laying down, it does not show the severity of the curvature, it does give an idea ... His rib cage is the same witdth (front to back) as when he was a child, but side to side, is a man's size.
If you know of anything, please leave a message on the blog, or email me at PeggikayeE@aol.com or, if you'd rather, email me and I can give you our doctor's email.

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger Dreaming again said...

THANK YOU!!! VERY MUCH. I looked at the site, I sent an email and I sent the info to our primary care doctor to see what she could find out.

I noticed your profile. It made me smile, everytime I see someone interested in immunology, I want to hide my blood vessels ... I have lupus& MG and had two kids with IgG subclass 2 deficiency (one's official diagnosis was hypogammagobulinemia) and asthma, allergies, etc etc etc. Everynow and then a doctor will meet us with this gleem in their eye saying "your family would make an interesting study!"

My family is a mess, but we're really good at educating new doctors and nurses ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home